Coldest Star Found—No Hotter Than Fresh Coffee
According to a new study, a star discovered 75 light-years away is no warmer than a freshly brewed cup of coffee.
Dubbed CFBDSIR 1458 10b, the star is what’s called a brown dwarf. These oddball objects are often called failed stars, because they have starlike heat and chemical properties but don’t have enough mass for the crush of gravity to ignite nuclear fusion at their cores.
With surface temperatures hovering around 206 degrees F (97 degrees C), the newfound star is the coldest brown dwarf seen to date.
I’m gonna…I’m gonna touch it..
It’s good to have goals.
im gonna fuck it
Wait but that is not what brown dwarves are
The definition of brown dwarves vs. planets is actually super murky and hotly (pun intended) debated but the whole point of having a distinction is that even though they (theoretically) are formed in essentially the same way, at about 13-15 Jupiter masses (again, super murky) theory predicts that the cores of these objects would start producing nuclear fusion, thereby distinguishing them from planets and making them somewhat star-like. The reason this definition is problematic is because scientists would rather have an actual difference in, say, how these objects are formed instead of having a rather arbitrary mass cutoff and saying that one side of the boundary is planets while the other is stars.
So basically maybe I’m wrong but from what I’ve absorbed working in a pretty well-regarded astrophysics department for the summer this NatGeo writer doesn’t seem to understand much about brown dwarves? But maybe I just don’t somebody verify please and thank you :)
When you are 13 years old,
the heat will be turned up too high
and the stars will not be in your favor.
You will hide behind a bookcase
with your family and everything left behind.
You will pour an ocean into a diary.
When they find you, you will be nothing
but a spark above a burning bush,
still, tell them
Despite everything, I really believe people are good at heart.
When you are 14,
a voice will call you to greatness.
When the doubters call you crazy, do not listen.
They don’t know the sound
of their own God’s whisper. Use your armor,
use your sword, use your two good hands.
Do not let their doubting
drown out the sound of your own heartbeat.
You are the Maid of Untamed Patriotism.
Born to lead armies into victory and unite a nation
like a broken heart.
When you are 15, you will be punished
for learning too proudly. A man
will climb onto your school bus and insist
your sisters name you enemy.
When you do not hide,
he will point his gun at your temple
and fire three times. Three years later,
in an ocean of words, with no apologies,
you will stand before the leaders of the world
and tell them your country is burning.
When you are 16 years old,
you will invent science fiction.
The story of a man named Frankenstein
and his creation. Soon after you will learn
that little girls with big ideas are more terrifying
than monsters, but don’t worry.
You will be remembered long after
they have put down their torches.
When you are 17 years old,
you will strike out Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig
one right after the other.
Men will be afraid of the lightening
in your fingertips. A few days later
you will be fired from the major leagues
because “Girls are too delicate to play baseball”
You will turn 18 with a baby on your back
leading Lewis and Clark
across North America.
You will turn 18
and become queen of the Nile.
You will turn 18
and bring justice to journalism.
You are now 18, standing on the precipice,
trembling before your own greatness.
This is your call to leap.
There will always being those
who say you are too young and delicate
to make anything happen for yourself.
They don’t see the part of you that smolders.
Don’t let their doubting drown out the sound
of your own heartbeat.
You are the first drop of a hurricane.
Your bravery builds beyond you. You are needed
by all the little girls still living in secret,
writing oceans made of monsters and
throwing like lightening.
You don’t need to grow up to find greatness.
You are stronger than the world has ever believed you to be.
The world laid out before you to set on fire.
All you have to do
If you’re protesting abortion, the Supreme Court says you can get right in women’s faces and scream at them on their way into the clinic. Because freedom of speech.
But if you try and protest the murder of a black man, you get tear gas fired at you.
✿ send me a floral question ✿
How old were you when you had your first kiss?
If I handed you a concert ticket right now, who would you want to be the performer?
What color looks best on you?
Name three facts about your family?
What's the best thing you can cook?
If you could pick the gender and appearance of your child, would you?
If you died right now, what song would you want to play at your funeral?
Favorite holiday dish?
Would you ever get into a long distance relationship?
Favorite kind of soup?
What's the most thoughtful present you've ever received?
Are you currently in love with someone?
Would you ever become a vegan?
What's your favorite hot beverage?
For your birthday, what kind of cake do you ask for?
Do you like going on airplanes?
Did you ever play an instrument? If so what?
Who was your best friend when you were six years old?
What color was your childhood home?
Do you like where you're from?
What was your favorite book as a child?
What's the scariest dream you've ever had?
Queen Anne's Lace:
Would you rather carve pumpkins or wrap presents?
Favorite kind of candy?
Would you rather be cold or hot?
Do you listen to what's on the radio?
Do you like when it rains?
What's a movie you cried while watching?
Do you think you're important?
Ok so I’ve been seeing a ton of those ‘we need more representation at hogwarts’ posts and I was like hell why not more Jewish representation at Hogwarts (and like everywhere else but that’s another story). No like imagine though
- parents calling/or I guess writing the school to make sure that their kids get a kosher meal option and that there’s a good Jewish presence
- having Friday night and Saturday morning and Holiday services in the room of requirement
- bar and bat mitzvahs would be fuckin epic like imagine having your bar or bat mitzvah in the Great Hall like hot damn people would talk about that for centuries like what was your bar/bat mitzvah theme? oh just REAL LIFE WIZARDING MAGIC
- on a more depressing note learning about how Voldemort tried to wipe out anyone who wasn’t pureblood brings up too many Holocaust parallels and is actually extremely upsetting to many students/ many of the Jewish kids teach their non-muggleborn friends about the Holocaust when they ask why they’re getting so distraught
- but on a lighter note Hannukah at Hogwarts would be fuckin awesome. like Slytherin students charming their dreidels so they can win every time, Hufflepuffs making everyone homemade gifts and shit, EVERYONE fucking making latkes bc those rule, also the kitchen elves being like wtf is a latke and the students being like prepare to have your mind fuckin blown
- giving the Jewish students the day off on Yom Kippur bc like how the frick are you supposed to function come on (that should apply to every school not just magical ones let’s be honest here)
- accidentally saying spells in Hebrew because if you grew up learning Hebrew and English it’s gonna slip out when speaking another foreign language (happens to me all the time in Spanish)
- getting howlers from concerned mothers who just want you to call back or write back because they love you and they want to make sure you’re warm and well fed (but they remind you that the cooking will never be as good as their own, and your mom is probably right, you miss her brisket and kugel) and if you’re dating anyone make sure it’s a nice jewish boy/girl!
- religious kids arguing over what kind of magic is okay to use on Shabbat and holidays
- religious kids getting kippot that match their respective houses
- religious kids davening in their common rooms each morning
- having a succah in the courtyard on Succot, but it does the bigger on the inside thing like the tents at the Quidditch world cup, so on the outside it looks pretty small and humble but you get inside and it’s like decked the fuck out and there’s candy from honeydukes everywhere and it’s just amazing
- dressing up on Halloween and Purim and giving shalach manot to their friends and professors
- WHY CANT YOU EAT BREAD FOR THE WHOLE WEEK? This question comes up whether you’re in the wizarding world or not let’s face it.
- HOGWARTS SEDERS. The great hall decorated for the Seder. those long ass Hogwarts tables decorated with like ten Seder plates because they are so long. Students staying up way past their bedtime because it’s the Seder and that’s just what you do. all the kids who were at the Seder just wiped out in classes the next day.
- Jewish wizards charming matzah into actually tasting decent (what a thought)
- Jewish wizards inviting their non Jewish friends to Seders and Friday night dinners
- Introducing friends to the magical bread that is Challah and kids being like ‘damn son I do magic all day every day but this is true magic’
- Jewish wizard couples just because
- Celebrating Israeli Independence Day at Hogwarts (that would be a dream come true holy moly) like cooking falafel and stuff with the kitchen elves that would be amazing
- basically just send me to Hogwarts already
HOGWARTS SEDERS, THO.
I’m picturing plagues “coming to life” and temporarily running amuck. I’m picturing searches for afikomen that move on their own.
Sometimes I forget there are tumblr jews who haven’t read hogwarts: the yeshiva
These are all really awesome, but could we add some things for us Orthodox Jews?
- Class schedules being drawn up in a way that nothing falls on Shabbat for observant people. This is an extremely impressive feat, considering how many Jewish students there are and how diverse their interests seem to be every year. (“He just had to take Ancient Runes, didn’t he? What’s wrong with Divination, like the rest of his friends are doing?”)
- Students being exemppt from classes on Chag, Chol Hamoed and Isru Chag, and there being a tutoring option for those who need help making up any material they missed.
- The kitchen having kosher plates and cutlery, and the house elves see where the observant students sit and making sure they get the correct dishes even though it creates a lot of chaos in the first 5 minutes of every meal.
- A First-year being unaware of it, and only using glass dishes for a week, until an older student tells her how it works.
- Havdalah time being determined by looking at the Great Hall’s ceiling and loooking for 3 stars.
- The Sefer Torah is magical and can scroll itself when Vezot Habracha is finished and it’s time to go back to Bereshit.
- There being a mashgiach kashrut in the kitchens
- Hagrid’s mom was a Jewish giantess, and as such, Hagrid is halachically Jewish. He performs all shchita for the school, and gladly lets students watch to make sure he’s doing it right.
- House elves being offered freedom every 50 years, on the Yovel.
- Herbology students wondering what to do on Shmita
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it got better
ok im gonna butt in
- are sukkot that are charmed to be waterproof kosher???
- mezuzot on the portraits: is it kosher if it’s literally inside the painting? “i mean i found a sofer from the 12th century, before the expulsion from York, in one of the portraits on the fifth floor; it seems such a shame not to put him to use”
- "is broomstick riding tznua???"
- kashering the kitchen for Pesach every year becoming a Muggle Studies observation opportunity, and being so much easier with charms to heat utensils instead of the whole performance with the red-hot rock and the iron pot
- a “lumos” chanukiah
- Gedaliah Gryffindor, Chana Hufflepuff, Rachel Ravenclaw, Shaul Slytherin (alternatively, Ari Gryffindor, Chana actually fits Hufflepuff p well I think, Binah Ravenclaw, Nachshon (though I was tempted by Adam - geddit? pureblood!) Slytherin. And genderbends! Chayala/Gila Gryffindor, Amnon/Chaim Hufflepuff, Shlomo/Rafael Ravenclaw, Serach - bc preserving genealogy - Slytherin)
- If you vanish chametz, is it still in your possession?
- the rebel minyanim
- the bentching gomel after the Battle of Hogwarts
- refusing to call Voldemort “he who must not be named”, because the only One who actually must not be named is HaShem
- inventing derogatory names for Voldemort in Yiddish and Ladino for those students who still don’t want to use his name
- the Battle of Hogwarts is in the Three Weeks, because of course it is
- The panic when someone makes an Unbreakable Vow or is a Secret Keeper but then hatarat nedarim happens. “WHY DIDN’T YOU WARN US???? WE WOULD HAVE PICKED SOMEONE ELSE”
"WELL NO-ONE THOUGHT TO TELL ME THAT HALACHA OVERRIDES THE LAWS OF MAGIC”
i headcanon that in seventh year the Jewish students got more and more oppressed and the frum ones forbidden to practice, because let’s be real of course they did, that’s what being a Jew means. Also, literalising the metaphor. and so can you imagine, tiny groups of jews gathered in the room of requirement, disused classrooms, walking around the grounds, and secretly learning. learning tshuvot “from the depths”, the responsa from the Shoah. and their teacher’s voice shakes - it’s just a sixth or seventh year, it’s not even a rabbi; the American and Israeli fresh talent are told that Britain is no place for Jews right now - as they warn the students that this isn’t so theoretical anymore
and the Carrows have no idea what dreidels are, so they’re used as teaching aids and the Carrows are told it’s just a spinning game and are convinced that the students are utterly breaking down, and as they leave they hear a firstie letting out hysterical giggles (as the Carrows make the “crazy” hand sign - they’ve cracked!) because we know the dance. of course we do. we’re Jews.
As Harry is named by Voldemort, after the moment of numbness, they all desperately look at one another: according to the halacha of rodef, once Harry has been named it’s their duty to give him up to save the others’ lives.
so half feel like traitors to the Boy who Lived and the resistance, for the sake of their religion, and half feel like traitors to their Judaism for Harry. and they look at the dead. and their non-Jewish friends and relatives never really understand - yeah, it’s survivor’s guilt, we all have complexes - and every time, they have to swallow down, according to our Law, we bear responsibility for that before G-d. their blood is on our heads.
and the survivors are dead on their feet, covered in blood, exhausted and shaking. but they will not be moved. they sit shmira by the side of the dead, saying Tehillim, until they are buried.
and they add a kinnah on Tisha B’Av the next and every year for the destruction wrought by Tom Riddle, yimach shemo.
Reblogging this as text because I just want everyone ever to read this whole thing because it just brings everything together for me oh my goodness. It’s like when you don’t realize you needed something until it’s given to you and then like wow where have you been all my life Jewish Harry Potter headcanons oh my.